Looking for a winter getaway this year? You may not have to leave the state.
Governor Kathy Hochul’s office has posted fun getaways for New Yorkers.
- Windham Mountain has invested over $ 4 million in capital improvements, including snowmaking upgrades, an eco-friendly groomer, redevelopment of the children’s learning center and a new “Magic Carpet” treadmill.
- Holiday Valley in Ellicottville installed the Yodeler Express, a high-speed detachable quad chairlift that helps beginners, allowing for increased efficiency – carrying 2,400 people per hour to the 2,000-foot summit.
- Catamount Mountain Resort in Hillsdale has made significant improvements to its snowmaking system, installed two new chairlifts, and added new food and beverage options to the base area.
- Whiteface in Wilmington has a new SkyTrac quad, continued Phase II of its three-phase snow improvement project (including nearly 30,000 feet of replacement snow pipe) and completed renovations to its Cloudsplitter gondola.
- Bristol Mountain in Canandaigua has added a new trail called Polaris to its Galaxy Lift Pod, improved its snowmaking capabilities and installed Axess Smart Gates on all lifts so skiers and cyclists can access the mountain with their Bristol Gateway Cards .
- Oak Mountain at Speculator has doubled its snowmaking capacity, replaced its T-Bar Bunny Hill with a Sunkid ski lift and added new skis and snowboards to its “Rossignol rental fleet”.
Celebrate winter and history
Winter festivals are among the most popular annual events in New York City:
- Celebrate Harriet Tubman’s 200th birthday by visiting her home in Auburn, as well as the surrounding communities of Cayuga County. Special activities during Harriet Tubman Week, scheduled for March 10-15, 2022, will take place at various sites, including her home in Harriet Tubman National Historic Park, the Seward House Museum and the Fort Hill Cemetery where she is buried. Other commemorations will be announced.
- In Seneca Falls, join the 75th anniversary celebration of “It’s a Wonderful Life” from December 8-12, where many of the cast members will gather, including the Bailey kids and their friends.
- Ice Castles is coming to New York for the first time, with ice displays featuring LED lights and colors at the Festival Commons at Charles Wood Park in Lake George. This new winter event should be open from early January to early March, depending on the weather.
- Also in Lake George, the Lake George Winterfest takes place from mid-December to March, and the Lake George Winter Carnival takes place every Saturday and Sunday in February.
- LuminoCity Festival is coming to Long Island for the first time this winter. The immersive light exhibit will run at Whitney Pond Park in Manhasset until January 9.
- Also on Long Island, the Shimmering Solstice will take place at Old Westbury Gardens through January 9, transforming the grounds into stunning light shows with music. This new seasonal event is ideal for the whole family.
- The Holiday Market, a new series of outdoor community events, will take place on the grounds of Gallery North and the Three Village Historical Society in Setauket on Saturdays from November 27 to December 18.
- Zoo New York, the “only zoo dedicated to animals in New York State,” hosts Winter Wonderlights on weekend evenings from November 26 through January 2. Explore the zoo at night to see it illuminated with multicolored lights.
- Discover even more lights, holiday entertainment and new exhibits at Westchester’s Winter Wonderland Drive-Thru Holiday Light Extravaganza at Kensico Dam Plaza from November 26 to January 2.
HOLIDAY EVENT GUIDES
BREAKFAST / MEAL WITH FATHER CHRISTMAS
CHRISTMAS TREE FARM GUIDES
Cozy restaurants and artisanal drinks
Savor comfort food, sample classic New York bites, and sip locally produced craft drinks this winter.
- Southern Tier Brewing Company has opened a new location in the Harborcenter in Buffalo, offering a full tasting room and a menu of “beer inspired” dishes.
- Brick & Ivy is a new BIPOC-owned restaurant in Rochester that offers a unique mix of dishes, such as fried cauliflower, jerk-seared salmon and confit duck leg.
- Embrace the chilly temperatures at one of Lake George’s ice bars, including The Sagamore’s famous Glacier Ice Bar, Adirondack Pub & Brewery’s Funky Ice Fest, and Winterfest at Erlowest.
- Willa’s new bakery in Catskill offers a wide variety of homemade baked goods, as well as seasonal breakfast and lunch options made from local ingredients.
- DisBatch Brewing Company, scheduled to open in December in Macedonia, is Wayne County’s premier brewery. It was started by first responders who wanted to provide the community with a place to gather and relax.
- In Albany, Skinny Pancake, scheduled to open soon, plans to offer a variety of pancake dishes made with local ingredients.
- The newly opened Nova Kitchen & Bar in Blauvelt, Rockland County, uses local seasonal ingredients to create innovative daily specials.
After a full day of exploring, rest for the adventures of tomorrow at one of New York State’s newest or newly remodeled accommodation properties.
- Scheduled to open in 2022, the Grand Adirondack Hotel in Lake Placid will provide a classic Adirondack stay with a sense of luxury and distinct dining experiences at on-site restaurants.
- Located in the heart of downtown Saratoga Springs, the Spa City Motor Lodge recently completed major renovations and rebranding, adding a more modern decor with an artistic twist.
- The recently opened Piaule Catskill offers cabins set in a forest, ideal for the ultimate escape, as well as hiking trails and an on-site restaurant and bar.
- Beyond winter, Auberge Resorts Collection is set to open Wildflower Farms in late 2022 amid 140 serene acres in the Hudson Valley.
New and recently opened exciting attractions
With indoor and outdoor attractions, visitors of all ages can participate in the seasonal excitement.
- Schenectady’s Mohawk Harbor welcomes a new winter experience with a 60 x 100 foot ice rink, a Beekman 1802 holiday pop-up shop, and dining options from Druthers Brewing Company, Shaker & Vine and the restaurants at Rivers Casino & Resort .
- The Rochester Memorial Art Gallery will be presenting the exhibition Impressions of the Renaissance: Reproductions of 16th Century Masters from the Kirk Edward Long Collection until February 6. The exhibition includes 82 masterpieces by various artists, showcasing Renaissance visual culture.
- Lark Hall in Albany has been recently restored and transformed into a concert hall, hosting a diverse mix of bands and performers.
- The Earl Cardot Eastside Overland trail system in Gerry, Chautauqua County expanded in 2021 to include more than five kilometers of groomed cross-country ski trails.
- At Niagara Falls State Park, admire the splendor of the Frosty Falls from all angles. For a unique perspective, Cave of the Winds takes visitors in an elevator into the Niagara Gorge to get a close, personal view of the falls from one of two open observation decks.
On the horizon
Mark your calendars for this exciting upcoming event.
- The FISU World University Games will take place in Lake Placid and surrounding communities from January 12-22, 2023, featuring outstanding international university athletes. It is the second largest winter multisport event in the world. For those inspired by the upcoming Winter Olympics, they can head to Lake Placid to experience Olympic history at the Olympic Museum, the recently opened Cliffside Coaster or to do Olympic bobsled east of the Rockies.